Saturday, April 11, 2009

Nova's Excellent Adventure - Asheville and Biltmore

When we had arrived at Aunt Margaret's Monday night, she told us that the weather from Michigan had followed us there, and that they expected high winds and snow overnight. This made Mom and Alex pretty sad because they wanted to do a lot of running when we were there. Even the Blue Ridge Parkway was closed when we got there, and ended up being closed 3 of the 4 days we were there:

Since it was going to be hard to get to some of the attractions on the Parkway that Mom had wanted to take us to, Mom decided to drive down the mountain and take us to Asheville the first day. I was surprised to find snow outside, just like at home. I got up and down the stairs to the cabin just fine, even though it was icy and snowy. I had practiced all Winter, so this was no big deal:

This was such a nice place to stay, and I felt right at home, right away:

Whatever Mom had planned for us, I knew it would be fun. I was HOPPY to go anywhere!

When we got to Asheville, Mom took us to go see the biggest house in the United States, the Biltmore Estate. It was the Festival of Flowers there, and Mom wanted to take some pictures of me and Emmy among the beautiful gardens there. The only trouble was that they would not let us in just to walk the grounds. Mom and Alex had to pay the full admission price to see inside the house ($75). They decided not to buy tickets, since they didn't want to leave us is the car while they toured the house. Plus, Mom said $75 was way too much to pay just to take pictures of flowers. She promised there would be plenty of nice places to take pictures that would be free, and just as beautiful.

I did take a few minutes to sniff around the place where they sold Biltmore admission tickets. Geesh... this place sure was fancy! I bet if Mr. Vanderbilt had dogs, they had some pretty nice beds to sleep on!

Once again, lots of people stared at me, like it was strange that I was hopping around on 3 legs. I don't understand what the big deal was. I can get around just fine. Life is great!

There were lots of pretty flowers, but it was still cold like Michigan.

When we got back to the cabin, Mom and Alex went out to dinner with Aunt Margaret, and Mom's Aunt Judy and Uncle Bill. I passed the time making myself even MORE comfortable by jumping into Mom's bed and curling up on her pillow.
I spent a little more time that night trying to get Lizzy to not be scared of me. She still wanted to run and hide. Sure, my PAW is half the size of her entire body, but I just wanted to be friends!

1 comment:

Jerry G Dawg said...

Wow, $75 just to look at flowers? Do they know how many bags of treats that can buy? Sheesh!