Thursday, November 13, 2008

Always the Worrywart

It's late afternoon on Thursday. It's been a challenging day. Nova still has not peed since 5 pm yesterday and of course I am obsessing about it. It seems like it would be important to pee and eliminate the toxins out of the body, you know? I haven't noticed her drinking much, she doesn't seem thirsty at all. But she's eaten twice, so that is good. At lunch she ate just enough to get the new pain med, Tramadol, down. Two of her feet (on the right side) have swollen up and it seems like they are getting bigger. The Dr. says I just need to get her up and around moving more. I'm trying! I have also been massaging the swollen feet when she is laying down, and just talking to her in a happy, happy voice.


Maybe I am being a little premature, but I don't like the Tramadol. Actually, I don't really like any type of pain medication that zones you out. Nova did not seem like herself when she came home on the morphine. But she seemed much more of herself than she does today. Today she seems really depressed. Typically with a normal Nova, all you have to do is start talking like a cartoon character and she gets all excited. That usually revs her up to do anything. But not today. She is just giving me blank stares. I've seen a few minor tail wags, but nothing like Nova. Also, the Tramadol makes her pant a lot when she gets up to walk around. This stresses me out, because I feel like I am putting too much pressure on her to move around. From everything I have read, panting is normal. But of course I worry, because that's what I do.

It is the 3rd day after the surgery and if I recall, anytime I have had surgery (or my husband for that matter) the 3rd day has been the worst. It's usually when you stop taking the heavy pain meds and start to feel the pain. I hate how pain meds make you feel, and I hate what they do to Nova. I don't want her in pain, but I don't want her to be a depressed zombie, either. I will stick it out. Tomorrow will be better, tomorrow will be better, tomorrow will be better.




This morning something happened that really brightened my day. I had sent a link to my blog to Tammy, my "big dog mom" friend from cross country, and also asked her for some advice on places to take Nova to while we are in Arizona next week. I would just prefer to leave her with someone who will be a little more attentive to Nova, you know? She said to call her, and that she had an idea. I was amazed (and so very thrilled) when she offered to take care of Nova in her own home while we were gone. She has kids, a big dog, busy life, so I didn't think it would be appropriate to ask. But she said she would be happy to care for her, being she is one of Nova's biggest fans. I can't think of many other people I would trust with Nova, but Tammy is one of them. First, she worries just like me. I am so relieved that we will be able to go to Arizona and know that Nova is being cared for by another Big Dog Mom. I am going to take Nova over there on Monday to get her acquainted with the house and all.

I went out for awhile to show a few houses and came back to find that Nova had jumped up on the couch. She gave me a guilty look but I let it slide and let her stay up there. I was just glad
she had gotten up and moved around a bit. I am trying to think of creative things to motivate her. Unlike my other Dane, Nova is not very motivated by food. I think I could stick a medium-rare New York Strip in front of her and she'd say "Ah, I just bury it here in the sofa and eat it later."
Don't these feet look swollen to you?

3 comments:

StormSong said...

Sue,

I think Nova is progressing good.

Calamity hit a wall at day 3 too & I had a meltdown. Just keep hanging in there. I't a hard recovery but it is such a short time in their lives. For some reason, they seems to get so much better when the staples/sutures come out & Calamity was no exception.

Hang in there and take this recovery in baby steps.

Janie & Calamity

Suzy said...

Thank you, Janie and Calamity, for all your kind words and support. It's one day later and Nova is much better. I have even noticed the swelling going down. I have got to get used to the ups and downs. Nova thinks I just need to relax.

Calamity, you are an inspiration. Thank you for being here and caring about Nova.

Sue

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue & Nova,
Last I heard you were just about to come home from the hospital, Nova. I wondered why I had not heard anything else. It just dawned on me that you might have posted an update in the "Tripawd Times". I should have known, Sue. You have spent every waking hour either taking care of Nova or posting updates on how she's doing. Am
delighted to hear Nova is doing so well. Good for you, Nova! Lizzy dog and Molly cat send their best wishes for a very speedy recovery, and of course, so do I. Lots of love, Aunt Margaret a.k.a. GAM